H.Kishie Singh is based in Chandigarh and has been a motoring correspondent for newspapers like The Statesman, New Delhi and The Tribune.His column ‘Good Motoring’, for The Tribune ran for over 27 years. He has been also been the contributing editor for magazines like Car & Bike, Auto Motor & Sport and Auto India. His latest book Good Motoring was published recently and has co-authored a book with The Dalai Lama, Ruskin Bond, Khuswant Singh and others, called The Whispering Deodars.


Saturday 14 November 2020

SURVIVAL ON THE ROAD

 

COMMUTER TRAFFIC

The taxi driver was very smartly dressed spoke English and drove exceptionally well, meaning observing all road rules, etiquette and respecting all the other road users.

I was impressed. The one point he ignored was the use of traffic indicators. I complimented him on his driving and pointed out that if he used his indicators his driving would be near perfect.

He was thrilled, thanked me with folded hands and gave me this explanation,
"Sahib jee, I am a retired fauji. I drove jeep, one ton, three ton, C.O. Sahib's car. I also fought two wars. In India, driving a car is war. In war, you don't tell the Dushman your next move. That's why I don't use indicators! "

Good sound reasoning that!

The driver also took a longer route. I thought it was to run up the meter a few extra kilometres, a few extra rupees. I pointed this to him.

"Sahib jee, longer route less traffic, much safer and faster. Only 10-15 rupees difference, but good for you and me. And less congestion on the main city roads!"

Again, made sense.

"Sahib jee, you travelling at good time.”  It was 1100 hours, fauji time. "Office hours very crowded and dangerous 0700 to 1000 hours. Youngsters on motor cycles speeding because they are late. Jumping red lights, overtaking from left. No discipline. Big boss in office telling driver,  jaldi karo, meeting hai! Arey bhai, why not wake up early, leave early!

I start work at 0500. Airport, railway station, ISBT. Good for business. Little traffic. I break for rest and breakfast at 0830. Office traffic over. Then I drive all day till 1800 hours. Again, stop to let office traffic finish. Going home commuters very bad traffic. Always in hurry to get home. Bad day in office, angry mood, aggressive driving. Road rage cases maximum in evening. Most fatalities at this time also. People tired, physical energy gone. Make foolish mistakes!

"In the morning people fresh, thinking good, but not in the evening. Also as darkness come, moods change.  Drivers angry! I can tell by the look on their face as they overtake me. Many give me two finger salute or shake fist! Why? I am a slow driver. 40 kmph no more. Good fuel average, safe in collision, no fatigue for me. Me, no accident in fourteen years! Car look like new.

"After 2100 hours new danger on road, drunk drivers on road. Bad drivers, indisciplined and drunk! You need Baba jee di full kirpa!"

"Corona was bad time. Lock down and curfew. No passengers. I drive my taxi as ambulance. Old people must go to hospital, ladies with baby must go to doctor. I took for free.

"Some gurdwaras served langer, I did seva and ate there. Baba jee di full kirpa!"

Not only was he a good driver, he was an exceptional human being. A veritable encyclopaedia on safe driving, understanding people and having a healthy respect for all road users.

So what if he did not use his indicators. Emily White did and look what happened to her.

On a trip to England, I went to visit my friend David in Yorkshire. David was my co-driver on my London-Delhi overland drive.

Yorkshire is a beautiful county, so are the people. But they are different, they think different. They speak English but the fact may escape you.

They are the only county, situated in the heart of England, who have agitated for sepration, “Home rule for Yorks!”

They also have a great sense of humour. One day David took me sightseeing. He took me to a cemetery! See what I mean about a sense of humour. He did not take me to the famous Lake District, or to the many castles or quaint villages England is known for. We went to a cemetery!

It turned out to be vey educative, informative and interesting. One of the epitaphs on a tombstone read.

Here lie the bones of Emily White.

She signalled left and then turned right.

R.I.P.