H.Kishie Singh is based in Chandigarh and has been a motoring correspondent for newspapers like The Statesman, New Delhi and The Tribune.His column ‘Good Motoring’, for The Tribune ran for over 27 years. He has been also been the contributing editor for magazines like Car & Bike, Auto Motor & Sport and Auto India. His latest book Good Motoring was published recently and has co-authored a book with The Dalai Lama, Ruskin Bond, Khuswant Singh and others, called The Whispering Deodars.


Saturday 5 December 2020

PENNY WISE, POUND FOOLISH

 


ROAD SIDE MECHANICS

My friend called to say he was coming over to show me his new possession. He was bursting with pride, I could sense it over the phone.

Anyone who buys a car, especially if it is a Mercedes is going to be bursting at the seems! So what if it is previously owned!

“I am going to the car wash to have it cleaned up. The mechanic left dirty marks all over!”

My friend had mentioned he was going for an oil change. A bit surprised, I asked, “didn’t the dealer wash the car after the oil change?”

“I didn’t go to the dealer. They are very expensive. I went to Bantoo in the motor market. He is very good. And took only half an hour!”

So, there you have it. A Champagne taste a beer budget! Bought a Merc, but can’t afford the dealer.

This type of car owner is ideal prey for the sidewalk mechanic. They sit quietly, little knowledge, no tools but a strong sense of survival and a creed, “If he didn’t want them sheered, he should not have made them sheep!” And the ignorant penny pincher is his legitimate prey.

Let’s make one point very clear. A car that expensive is a marvel of the latest technology, electronic wizardry with gadgets and gizmos that boggle the imagination.

The service manual has a new word SST, Special Service Tool. No roadside mechanic will have this tool, ergo he cannot work on the car!

My friend came over and showed me his car. It was looking good.

We sat in warm winter sun and enjoyed a chit chat over a cup of coffee.

I saw my friend off. After he drove off I noticed 2 oil patches on the tarmac. Oil leak! A sure sign of danger! I called him back and showed him the danger signs.

“What to do?” he enquired in a troubled voice.

“Go back and check with Bantoo”

“Please come with me”

We got to Bantoo, “What did you do?” I asked?”

“Drain oil. Clean oil filter and refit.” He said in pigeon English.

In 60 years of changing oils I have never heard of cleaning and refitting an oil filter. Always fit a new one.

“What about the drain plug?”

“It was I refit!”

“What about the washer?”

“I refit!”

So I knew where the leaks were from. Oil and drain plug!

A washer costs about Rs.5.00 (rupees five) and Bantoo had not changed it.

With two oil leaks and on a consistent high speed drive, like to Delhi and back, the engine would lose enough oil to seize the engine!

On his fancy high-tech German car, an engine job could cost about Rs 8-10 lakhs.

If the old oil filter and drain plug had been reused, it was anyone’s guess about the quality of oil.

I checked the dip-stick. It showed full. It was safe to drive.

 “Please drop me back home and go straight to the dealer and have an oil change, a proper oil change!”

On the way home I explained to my friend what Bantoo had done, short changed on everything. This could have killed the engine.

Unethical practices, untrained mechanics should be avoided at all costs. The cost can be high!

If you can’t afford the dealers price, for service and spares, buy a cheaper car and use the dealer who supplied original parts. It will be cheaper in the long run.